THEORIES "Vessel"




THEORIES

“Vessel”

Oh, that goddamn drum sound! That’s the one thing I’m gonna take away from “Vessel”...that half metallic/half plastic snare racket. Not quite to “Saint Anger” levels, thank God, but it sticks in your brain like a sliver of ice.

I remember these guys from about four or five years ago and wondered if they would return. So they have and they are out for blood with a rapid fire grinding death metal attack of the modern variety. Their aggression is unquestioned, but as with many bands of this ilk, are you able to remember anything beyond initial impact? I would have to say no...

Containing members of bands like Black Breath and Samothrace, Theories is bloodthirsty death somewhat in the vein of Misery Index, but not quite so impressive. I won’t tar these guys with the deathcore brush, because they are not that, but there are certain moments where the shifts in jagged riffing bring that style a bit to mind. They do know how to use medium and even slow riffs, but in general, it’s heads down and full speed ahead.

That annoying drum sound hovers over the field of battle like a dank fog. I could actually enjoy the pure rage of “Vessel” while I was listening to it, but will I recall any of this even tomorrow? Sorry to say, I don’t think so.

CORPSE FLOWER RECORDS

THEORIES

Comments

Popular Posts